Canine Care at North Center Animal Hospital
Preventative care for your dog is the best way to keep them healthy and happy!
Annual physical examinations are just as important for your dog as they are for you. Our canine companions cannot tell us how they are feeling, so bringing them in for preventative care and wellness exams on a regular basis is vital to keeping them as healthy as possible.
The exam is an opportunity to develop a picture of your dog’s overall health. These exams also help us to spot potential medical issues before they become serious concerns. They also allow you, a partner in your dog’s health, to ask important questions about your dog’s health, habits and daily care. No question is too small or too silly, and it is our pleasure to address your concerns. We want you to be informed and comfortable in all aspects of your dog’s health and lifestyle. We will provide you information about home health care for your dog and offer important advice and new information on the care of your particular type and breed of dog.
A preventative exam includes:
- Listening to your dog’s heart and lungs
- Checking your dog’s teeth, gums and mouth
- Evaluating your dog’s eyes
- Examining your dog’s ears and ear canals
- Checking your dog’s lymph nodes, abdomen, and skin
- Feeling the joints and muscles
- Performing laboratory test (urine/blood), if necessary
- Screening for parasites
- Administering vaccinations
- Consulting about your dog’s behavior, appetite, exercise habits, and regular activities at home
- Discussing heartworm, flea and tick parasite control